Right from the golden, olden days, garlic has been the harbinger of good health. Here’s why:
- Garlic is rich in Vitamins A, B and C as well as plenty of minerals including iron, iodine, potassium, zinc, selenium, calcium and magnesium.
- It is also proven that this precious ingredient prevents cardiovascular diseases by making the arteries more elastic and less prone to hardening.
- Garlic is packed with antibacterial and antiviral properties; hence it boosts immunity against illness and infections.
- When crushed, this ingredient produces a healing component called allicin.
- Since it has antioxidants properties, it is believed that garlic slows the ageing process and also helps prevent cancer.
- The anti-inflammatory properties in garlic help people to combat arthritis, rheumatism and gout.
- The probiotics in garlic are nothing but live bacteria which while travelling through the gut into the large bowel, increases the number of good bacteria in the system.
- Garlic is also considered to be the best liver purifier, cleansing it of mercury, food additives and excess hormones.
So, a garlic clove a day can keep the doctor away. However, most people do not know the correct way of enhancing the benefits of garlic. Many home chefs mistakenly cook garlic immediately after crushing or chopping it. To maximise the health benefits, you should crush the garlic at room temperature and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes. That triggers an enzyme reaction that boosts the healthy compounds in garlic.