- Place a dinner plate in the center of the setting.
- The forks are positioned to the left of the plate.
- To the right of the plate are the knives.
- The Table Spoon for soup is placed next to the knives.
- The Fruit Fork and Fruit Spoon are positioned horizontally above the plate, with the handle of the fork towards the left and of the spoon towards the right.
- A Fruit Knife may be inserted between these two, facing in the same direction as the spoon.
- The fruit cutlery may be placed by a Dessert Fork.
- The glasses are positioned slightly to the right of the plate.
- There should be at least two glasses – a larger one for water and, to its right, a smaller one for wine.
Tip: Knife blades should be facing towards the plate and fork prongs facing upwards.
The size of the table is very important for the diners’ comfort and to add to the ambiance during the meal. The table needs to be large enough to place the eating utensils (especially if it is a formal dinner) in their right order. Pay attention to the tablecloth. Choose one that goes best with the nature of dinner you are hosting After the table has been properly set with the cutlery, plates, and glasses, a small fruit-basket, a flower vase or candles can be placed as a centerpiece.