Who doesn’t love some crunchy Vazhaipoo Vadai on a rainy day like this? Here’s Deepa Venkat’s version of the classic Vazhaipoo Vadai:
• Pressure cooked Vazhaipoo – 1 cup
•’Urad Dal – 1/4 cup
• Channa Dal – 3/4 cup
• Perungayam – 1 pinch
• Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
• Dry Red Chillies – 4 nos
• Salt – as per taste
• Soak the urad and chana dals for one hour.
• Drain the water from the dals.
• In a blender jar, add the soaked and drained dals, dry red chillies, asafoetida, curry leaves, salt and grind as a coarse mixture.
• Transfer this ground mixture to a bowl and add the cooked vaazhapoo and mix everything together.
• In a kadai, pour the oil for frying the vadais. After oil has sufficiently heated, pat the mixture into small circles and put in the oil.
• Let the vadais fry on both sides. Remove and drain excess oil on a tissue. Serve as it is or with chutney of choice.
Watch the full video below: