From time immemorial, the tradition of making Pongal has been associated with the harvest festival. The sight of the earthen pot overflowing with the rice delicacy and the sounds of ecstatic people shouting ‘Pongal O Pongal’ is an unparalleled experience.
- ½ kg Raw rice
- 2 Tender coconuts
- 100 gm Cashew nut
- ¼ cup Coconut milk
- 25 gm Black pepper
- 1tsp Ginger (chopped)
- 1 tsp Green chilli
- 1 twig Curry leaf
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Wash and soak the rice for half an hour.
- Break tender coconut, separate water and flesh.
- Boil the rice along with tender coconut water. When rice gets half done add coconut milk, chopped tender coconut flesh and salt. Allow to cook till it mashes.
- In a kadai make a tempering out of ghee, pepper, ginger, green chilli, cashew nut and curry leaf.
- Add the tempering into the mashed rice and mix well. Check seasoning and serve hot.