The old wives tales of using the same ingredients on your skin as you would in your food holds a lot of truth in it. Mother Nature has gifted some crazy ingredients to work with and in this article, JFW brings you DIY hair packs from everyday ingredients found right in your kitchen!
Here’s taking a look at the benefits of some ingredients and masks involving them.
A blessing for all hair types, coconut oil is one of the most effective conditioner for damaged hair. It encourages hair re-growth and prevents the loss of proteins from hair. Getting deep into the follicles, coconut oil moisturizes the hair, adding lustre to it, leaving a shine that lasts a very long time. The best way to apply coconut hair and masks with ingredients is to apply on top of the hair and comb it across so that it reaches the scalp and thoroughly touches the follicles. Leave it overnight and wash with shampoo the next day. It is also strongly recommended that using warm oil is better for penetrating the scalp then cold as coconut oil tends to cream when in room temperature.
- Take the meatiest part of a tender coconut and microwave for about 7-8 seconds till warm. Massage onto hair and wrap hair in a warm towel. Wash with mild or herbal shampoo and dry naturally.
- Overnight soak 20 curry leaves in a cup of water and in another, soak a stick of ratanjot in ¼ cup pure coconut oil till oil is red in colour. Next morning, discard the stick from the oil, which should have turned a deep red colour. Drain water from the curry leaves and blend with oil after discarding the stick. Apply paste to scalp and hair and leave for one hour. Wash off with lemon juice.
- Soak henna powder overnight in black tea. Add 1 tbsp coconut juice from half a lemon. Add ½ cup of fresh yoghurt or 1 beaten egg to it just before applying. Leave for half hour if you only want to moisturize or 6-7 hours if you want to give it the henna colour!
- For curing dry hair add 1 tsp coconut oil warm and mix with 1tbsp warm honey and comb onto hair. Wash off in warm water.
- Mash 200 ml coconut cream with ½ an avocado. Massage onto hair concentrating on tips. Wrap head with hot towel for deep penetration. Store in a jar for further use.