Appams are a staple in Chettiyar cuisine. Kandharappam is a delectable sweet offering guaranteed to tantalize the taste buds.
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Boiled rice – 1 cup
- Urad dhal – ½ cup
- Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
- Jaggery – 2 ½ cups
- Coconut scrapings – 2 tbsp
- Oil – required amount
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak the raw rice, the boiled rice, the urad dhal and fenugreek together for 1 hour.
- Grind the mixture into a fine paste.
- Put the mixture in the saucepan and add the coconut scrapings, the jaggery and ¼ cup of water.
- Allow it to boil for 2 minutes until the jaggery dissolves.
- Strain the syrup directly onto the rice batter and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is fairly hot, reduce the flame/heat and add a scoop of batter.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then turn it over and cook the other side for 2 minutes.
- Remove it from the pan and drain excess oil.
- Serve hot or cold according to preference.
Serves: 10 to 12 people