Chettinadu cooking is incomplete without this traditional dish. Although it looks simple to make, making the perfect vellai paniyaram is an art to be mastered with practice.
- Raw Rice – 3 cups
- Urad Dhal – ½ cups
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – to fry
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Milk – 1 tsp
- Soak the rice and urad dhal for 1 hour.
- Wash and grind into a fine paste.
- Add salt, sugar, milk and enough water to get the consistency of dosa dough.
- Heat oil in a shallow pan.
- Add a scoop of batter into the oil, toss it and fry until it is cooked.
- Remove, and serve while hot.