MADRAS PRAWN CURRY
1 tsp coriander seeds
5-6 fenugreek seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 dried red chillies
1 tsp turmeric
750 gm small peeled prawns
8 tbsp coconut cream
2 tsp tamarind concentrate
3 tbsp tomato puree
1 large thinly sliced onion
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
3 tbsp lemon juice
- Make a paste out of turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, salt and lemon juice and marinate the prawns in it for 15-20 minutes.
- In a blender, grind coconut milk with cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds to a fine paste.
- Soak a medium sized ball of tamarind in 4-5 tablespoons of water.
- In a saucepan, pour the oil and switch the heat to high. Plop the mustard seeds and as they start to splutter, throw in the cloves and dried chillies.
- Now, add the chopped onions, remaining ginger-garlic paste and simmer the heat a bit. Sauté the onions until they brown. Pour the tomato puree and add ½ cup water and cook till the onions become soft.
- Then, add the coconut paste and tamarind concentrate and cook until the curry bubbles.
- Stir in the prawns and simmer for 10 minutes or until the prawns turn pink and are soft.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve the prawn curry with rotis or steamed rice.
Serve with rotis, rice or puris.