FREE- FORM FOCACCIA
250 gm plain flour
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp olive oil
¾ cup water
3 tbsp olive oil
½ onion, sliced
2 tbsp sliced olives in brine, rinsed
8 – 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp salt
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl, stir in the yeast, salt, sugar and oregano.
- Make a well in the centre, pour in the oil and most of the water and mix into a dough.
- Transfer onto a sturdy worktop and knead into soft dough, adding a little more water only if necessary.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover with a well-fitting lid and allow to cure for about 40 minutes or till doubled in size.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and punch it down to expel the air.
- Knead it briefly, roll out into a ½ inch thick rectangle and place on the back of a large baking sheet.
- Leave the dough undisturbed for about 10 minutes and then make well-spaced indentations with a finger.
- Brush oil over the dough, arrange the onion slices, olives, tomatoes, garlic and cheese over it.
- Push in tiny sprigs of rosemary, sprinkle salt and leave it for another 15 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 200°C oven for about 15 – 20 minutes or till the bread rises and the skins of the tomatoes have shrivelled just a tiny bit.
- Remove from the oven, cool on a wire rack and slice into squares to serve.