HERBED SEAFOOD PIE
350 gm grey or black Pomfret, filleted and cut into cubes
350 gm large prawns, shelled and deveined
1 bay leaf
5 sprigs of parsley, separate the stalks and chop the leaves finely
1 tsp vinegar
5 sprigs of thyme
600 gm floury potatoes
50 gm soft butter
50 ml milk
30 gm butter
30 gm plain flour
200 gm milk
100 ml cream
Salt and freshly ground pepper
A little extra butter
2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Pour 150 ml water into a wide saucepan, place the fish in it.
- Also add in the bay leaf, peppercorns, parsley stalks, vinegar, thyme and a little salt.
- Bring the pan to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and allow it to simmer for about 7 minutes, add in the prawns and let it all cook for another 3 -4 minutes.
- Lift out the fish and prawns gently, strain and save the stock.
- Boil the potatoes and when cool enough to handle, peel and mash.
- Mix in the butter and milk, season to taste with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Heat butter in a skillet, add in the flour and stir with a whisk.
- Add in the milk, a little at a time and stir until it turns into a smooth sauce.
- Stir in the cream.
- Thin down the sauce with some of the poached fish liquid; gently mix in the fish and prawns.
- Mix through the chopped parsley, season with salt and plenty of freshly ground pepper.
- Place the seafood sauce in a greased 1 litre casserole and cover the top with the mashed potatoes.
- Place in a preheated 190°C oven and bake for about 20 minutes, remove and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs, dot with a little butter and return to the oven for another 20 minutes.
- When the top is golden brown and the breadcrumbs are crisp, remove the pie.
- Allow standing for 20 minutes before serving.