MINTY CHICKEN AND MUSHROOM BUNS
500 gm plain flour
1 tsp gluten or bread-tex
50 gm sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp milk powder
40 gm soft butter
2 tsp instant yeast
1 egg, beaten
200 ml water
1 beaten egg
- For the filling, marinate the chicken in lime juice for about 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan, sauté the onions and chilies till glassy.
- Add in the ginger garlic paste and when it is cooked, stir in the curry paste.
- At this stage, add in the chicken and salt and cook till tender.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook till most of the water has evaporated.
- Sprinkle over the gram masala, add in the mashed potatoes, mint and coriander leaves.
- Mix well, check the seasoning and leave to cool down to room temperature.
- For the dough, sieve flour into a mixing bowl, add in gluten or bread-tex, sugar, salt, milk powder, instant yeast and mix them together.
- Make a hollow in the centre of the ingredients and add in beaten egg and half the water.
- Mix into a dough and add in butter.
- Remove it onto a sturdy countertop and knead into soft dough, adding more water as needed.
- Place the dough into an oiled container with a lid and leave in a warm drawer for about 40 minutes or till doubled in size.
- Remove the dough, punch it down to expel all the air, knead briefly for a minute.
- Divide into 15 pieces, round each into a ball.
- Roll each piece of dough into a 5 inch circle and place some of the fillings in the middle.
- Wet the rim, gather into a ball and place on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Ensure the folds are placed on the base.
- Arrange the buns on the sheet, leaving 2 inches of space between them.
- Brush with egg and sprinkle some of the sesame seeds over.
- Leave to prove again for about 20 minutes or till doubled in size.
- Bake in a preheated 200°C oven for about 12 – 15 minutes or till golden.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.