Getting tanned is one of the major problems during summer, and most people try to find a quick solution to get rid of it by using chemical loaded products or opt to undergo other cosmetic procedures. These quick solutions have several side effects and can cause severe damage to the skin. Therefore, it is good to know how to protect your skin from the blazing summer sun and enjoy being outdoor without the fear of getting tanned by with these simple tips.
Daily Skin Care Routine
The air is filled with pollutants and the skin is exposed to a lot of battering because of the increase in pollution, it is therefore important that we take of this wonderful asset gifted to us by the creator.
Cleansing of the face is a process of removing dead skin cells, dirt, dust, excess oil and other pollutants from the surface of the facial skin. We are never serious about washing our face and do not invest time on this regime. Cleansing is a crucial step for a glowing skin and following it religiously will help maintain a healthy skin for a long time.
Always wash your face twice a day, in the morning and at night. Use soaps that are chemical free or less in percentage, to wash your face. If you have a dry skin, use coconut oil or olive oil to wash your face. Coconut oil is a great natural cleanser and if your skin type is oily, use gel or foam cleansers instead of a soap to cleanse your face.
Honey is a handy cleanser that goes well with all skin types. Take ½ teaspoon of honey and apply in a circular motion on the face. Wash it off using warm water after 20 minutes.
Toning helps lower the skin’s pH and eradicates any dirt and oil that regular cleansing fails to remove. This skin care step is only recommended for people with oily skin. An alcohol-based astringent with salicylic acid is well suited for oily skin.
Natural toning is a great way to take care of your skin, although toners with glycolic or alpha hydroxyl acid are best for almost all types of skin. Apply the toner with a cotton ball over your face excluding the eyes and lips. Wipe the toner in upward and outward direction.
Mix fresh cucumber juice with yoghurt and use this combination as an astringent and a natural toner, for normal and dry skin.
The combination of egg white and honey mixed with few drops of lemon juice is also a good toner for oily skin.
Keep it Moist
Moisturising your skin will help keep the skin looking radiant and glowing through the day. Moisturisers help restore and retain moisture on the skin. It helps improve skin texture and covers the imperfections. Facial moisturisers play an important role in fighting dryness and prevent damage. Choose oil-rich moisturisers especially those with sun protection factor (SPF). Use your finger tips to gently massage the moisturiser on your face and neck. The skincare routine is not complete if it does not give significance to moisturising. After you have finished cleansing your face with the appropriate cleanser for your skin type and toning it; you must immediately apply a suitable moisturiser. Do not over use moisturizer as it will clog your pores and lead to black heads and pimples. A moisturiser can also act as a protective base for make-up.
Weekly Skin Care Routine
Exfoliation is the removal of dry/dead skin cells from the surface of the skin, and is the most important part of your skincare routine. Exfoliation increases the blood circulation, besides preventing many skin problems. We suggest exfoliating twice a week, as part of your beauty regime for both the face and body. It is important to remove dead skin as it is equally important to retain the natural oils.
Tips for a healthy skin
- It is important to keep yourself hydrated at all times by drinking water throughout the day. This also helps to prevent dryness and keeps the skin moisturized.
- Apply sunscreen creams and lotions on the skin before stepping out into the sun; this helps in protecting the skin from the harsh UV-A and UV-B rays. The sunscreen lotion/cream should be applied at least 15 to 30 minutes before leaving indoors
- Use higher SPF if you have to spend a lot of time in the sun. It helps in prevent sunburn, rashes and blisters.
- Use a hat or a cap to prevent direct rays from falling on the face.
- Swimming in chlorinated water speeds up the tanning process, so it is mandatory to cleanse your skin and hair with fresh water after taking a swim in the pool.
- The psoralen present in perfumes react with the sun rays, especially citrus perfumes because they can stain your skin permanently, therefore do not apply perfume on your skin while out in the sun.
- Take bath in cold water to keep the skin fresh and hydrated, as warm showers during the summer season can make your skin very dry.
- Reduce the intake of sugar and processed foods, include skin-friendly foods such as vegetables and fruits to pack antioxidants, a lot depends on the right foods to flaunt a healthy skin.