Recipe from Home baker Penelope Fernandez
- 185gm butter
- 330gm caster sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 75gm self-raising flour
- 225gm plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 90gm cocoa powder
- 280 ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C. Brush a deep, 8 Inch round cake tin with melted butter. Line the base with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar with electric beaters until light and creamy. Beat in the vanilla essence. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Using a metal spoon, fold in the combined sifted flours, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder alternately with the buttermilk. Stir until just smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 1 1/4 hours, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center. Leave the cake to cool in the tin for at least 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For Chocolate glaze
- 250gm dark chocolate, chopped
- 125ml cream
- 165gm sugar
- To make the glaze, put the chocolate, cream, and sugar in a pan and stir over low heat until smooth. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the mixture catching. Remove from the heat and stir gently, to cool a little.
- Pour the glaze over the cake, letting it run evenly down the side. Tap the tray on the bench to level the surface. Leave to set completely.