MINI CRAB CAKES
220 g crabmeat (drained)
3 slices whole grain white bread
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 thinly spring onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
Powdered bay leaf for seasoning
1 tsp white sauce
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
5 ml cooking oil
Salt to taste
4 lemon wedges, to garnish
- Remove any bits of shells remaining from the crabmeat. Pulse the meat along with bread slices in a blender into a fine paste.
- Whisk mayonnaise in a large bowl; add spring onion, garlic cloves, powdered bay leaf, white sauce, salt and eggs to the bowl and mix well. Gently stir in breadcrumbs and crabmeat paste to the mixture.
- Shape this mixture into 2 inch cakes (2 tbsp each).
- In batches, cook the cakes in a non-stick pan coated with cooking oil. Cook the cakes for 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.
Cook’s Note: Crab cakes taste best with garlic-chive sauce.
SALT & VINEGAR POTATO
25 baby potatoes
4 spring onions, chopped
Sea salt, to taste
Salt, to taste
5 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp butter
Crushed black peppercorns, to taste
- Halve potatoes with skin on.
- Heat sufficient water in a deep container; add the halved potatoes, sea salt and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Cover and boil till the potatoes are soft. Drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in another non-stick pan. Add spring onion bulbs and boiled potatoes and mix well.
- Add salt and crushed peppercorns. Mix, cover and cook on high heat till potatoes are light brown.
- Add spring onion and vinegar, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer into a serving bowl and serve hot.