Rice Flour dumplings filled with coconut and jaggery, this sweet dish is known as modak in Maharashtra.
1 cuprice flour
1 cup water
½ tsp oil
1 cup coconut, grated
½ cup jaggery, grated
½ tsp cumin, crushed
¼ tspcardamom powder
- Add rice flour to a bowl.Boil water in a pan with a pinch of salt and ½ teaspoon oil.
- When it comes to the boil, switch off heat and pour into the rice flour. Add enough to form soft, pliable dough.
- Mix well using a spatula without forming any lumps. The mixture should be soft but should not stick to the hand. Cover and keep aside.
- Add grated coconut to a bowl. Add the grated jaggery, cardamom powder and crushed cumin. Mix well.
- Add more jaggery if you want more sweetness.
- Apply oil to your palms. Take a small ball off the dough. Flatten it to form a round shape. Make sure not to make it too thin. Else it will crack open.
- Place a spoonful of the filling in the centre. Bring the edges to the centre and seal together. Roll to form a ball.
- You may make Kozhukattaiin any shape you choose to.
- Steam these in a greased steamer for 10-15 minutes till it looks glossy.
- Serve hot.
Recipe by Mareena Jerrish
You May Also Like :