A traditional sweet dish made using Bengal gram, Poli is yet another dish that is made across South India.
For the Filling
¾ cup Bengal gram (chana dal)
¾ cup sugar
½ tsp cardamom powder
1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
1 tsp ghee
For the poli
1 ¼ plain flour (maida)
¼ tsp turmeric powder
A pinch of salt
½ cup oil
- Pressure cook Bengal gram with adequate water, till soft.
- Drain the water and transfer the gram to a pan.
- Add the sugar and ghee.
- In a saucepan, cook the mixture on low heat, stirring continuously, till it thickens.
- To check the consistency, lift a bit of the mixture in a spoon. The mixture should fall into the pan as small lumps.
- Add the cardamom and nutmeg powder and mix well. Switch off heat.
- If you still spot the gram as whole, run the mixture in a blender to make a smooth paste.
- Do this before the mixture turns cold.Form small balls of this mixture and keep aside.
- Mix flour, salt and turmeric powder in a bowl.
- Add enough water to form dough.
- Now add half of the oil and knead the dough well.
- Pour the remaining oil and keep the dough covered for at least 30 minutes.The dough will absorb the oil.
- Knead the dough again. It will turn very smooth and soft.
- Divide the dough into equal portions, like the filling.
- Take a dough ball and flatten it.Keep the filling in the centre and wrap the dougharound.
- Roll it out into thin rounds. Do not apply too much force as they are very soft and may tear easily.
- Place the rolled poli on a pan in medium heat. As soon as light brown spots appear, flip and cook the other side.
- Apply a light coat of ghee on both sides.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
Recipes by Mareena Jerrish!
You May Also Like : Easy To Make Motichoor Laddoo’s For Ganesh Chaturthi!