Fruity Mince Pie
Nothing spells Christmas like a zesty bite of fruit encased in a light and crumbly pastry.
Recipe Courtesy: Chef Sujan Mukherjee, Taj Hotels
600 gms minced soaked fruits
1 apple grated
2 lemon zest
50 gms apricot jam
375 gms flour
260 gms butter unsalted
125 gms castor sugar
- Place the flour and butter in a bowl and rub together to a crumb consistency. Add the sugar and the egg, and mix
- Tip out onto a lightly floured surface and fold until the pastry comes together, be careful not to over mix.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 10mins.
- Scoop the mince fruits into a bowl and add apple and zest.
- Heat oven to 200C, roll out the pastry to 3mm thickness. Using a round cutter (about 10cm), cut out 16 bases and place them into muffin trays.
- Put 11⁄2 tbsp mince fruit mixture into each. Brush the edge of each pie with a little beaten egg.
- Re-roll out the pastry to cut 7cm lids and press them on top to seal. Glaze with the rest of the egg, sprinkle with caster sugar, then make a small cut in the tops.
- Bake mince pies for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool before releasing them from the muffin trays and dusting with icing sugar. Serve.