On any normal day, we look at our face in the mirror a minimum of 10 times. Our hands do not get any such special treatment from us except perhaps, the occasional manicure at the parlor. Your hands need equal attention and care, after all they are the ones that help you get through your day.
Instead of trudging to the parlour, try these simple homemade quick fixes to get rid of nail stains.
- Mix one tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide with two and a half tablespoon baking soda in a small bowl. Using a cotton swab, cover your entire fingernail with this paste. Leave this mixture on for about three minutes and then rinse. Repeat this treatment every month.
- Fill a bowl halfway with fresh lemon juice. Soak your nails in it for about fifteen minutes. Then use a soft toothbrush to gently scrub the nails. Rinse your hands with lukewarm water and apply moisturising lotion.
- Whitening toothpaste comes in very handy to clean nails too. Apply a small coat of toothpaste and leave it on for about ten minutes. Using a nail brush, scrub your nails gently. Wash the toothpaste off with a soft cloth.
The more we work, the more our hands take the brunt of it and the skin becomes hard and rough. It is possible to maintain a baby like softness with these methods.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of glycerine, half a teaspoon of lemon juice with a few drops of rose water and apply it twice a day. You can do it at any time of the day.
- Blend a banana, add 1 teaspoon of honey to it and apply it on the hands. Wash it off after it dries.
- Mix a teaspoon of honey with a tablespoon of beetroot paste. Add a few drops of glycerine and apply it.
- The easiest way is perhaps to mix Bengal gram flour with milk and lemon and apply it regularly.
If you ride around the city with no protective gloves for your hands, chances are that your hands resemble a duet of ebony and ivory! It might not be much of a hazard, but it does become apparent when you wear evening dresses. Try these remedies for satisfactory results.
- Mix almond powder, sugar, milk cream and lemon juice together and use that as a scrub. When you powder almonds, make sure they are not finely grounded. The almonds act as a natural scrubber.
- Mix the white of an egg, 1 tablespoon glycerine, little honey and powdered barley to make a soft paste. Apply it on your hands and leave it to dry. Wash off with warm water.
Nothing is more unattractive than dry and chapped hands. Hands are capable of showing one’s age as they age faster than other parts of the body. These remedies are very effective to cure chapped hands.
- Apply vinegar diluted in a little water and put on a pair of soft gloves. Leave it for 15 minutes. Wash with warm water and pat it dry.
- Wear gloves while doing housework like washing dishes to protect your hands from the harsh chemicals.
- Massage your hands with olive oil or sunflower oil every day.
- Mix fresh cream with a teaspoon of sugar, few drops of lemon juice and massage your hands till the sugar granules dissolve.
- Massage almond oil mixed with egg yolk and a little honey on your hands. Wash with warm water after 15-20 minutes.
- If you do not have time for elaborate treatments, just apply coconut oil mixed with petroleum jelly (Vaseline).
Manicure at Home
Not all of us have the time to head to a parlour every now and then to get pampered. A manicure, apart from giving beautiful hands, is also extremely beneficial. It improves blood circulation, removes dead skin and relaxes the body and mind. Follow these steps to an easy manicure in the comfort of your home.
- Clean your hands well and remove old nail polish stains with remover.
- Take lukewarm water; add a few drops of shampoo, some rock salt and lemon juice.
- Soak your hands in this for about fifteen minutes. With a toothbrush, clean your nails.
- Cut your nails and remove dirt from under the corners.
- Apply olive oil on the base of your nails and gently massage them. Wash and pat dry with a soft cloth.
- Apply moisturising cream. You could either leave it as it is or apply nail polish.
So, ladies, next time you pamper your face, take a look at your hands too. They deserve the pampering too!