Punjabi Kadhi, is a mixture of curd, gram flour and spices that is cooked over low flame till a creamy consistency. Usually pakoras /fritters are added to this gravy . However, you can even add fried onions to the kadhi. Your delicious Punjabi Kadhi is ready ! You can serve the Kadhi along with Indian flatbreads like Phulka/Chapathi/ Naan or with steaming hot rice.
1 cup yoghurt/ thick curd
2 garlic pods ( peeled and grated)
1/2 ” ginger piece ( grated)
3/4 tsp red chilli powder
3/4 tbsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp besan/gram flour
water ( adjust)
salt to taste
For the caramelization :
1 large onion (thinly sliced lengthwise ) or 15-20 shallots
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp sugar
salt to taste
For the tempering :
1-2 tsp ghee or oil
1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
1 dry red chilli ( cut into smaller bits)
1 sprig curry leaves OR 1/2 teaspoon kasuri methi ( dry)
1.In a small bowl, whisk the curd without any lumps.
- Add the besan, chilli powder, ginger -garlic paste, turmeric powder and whisk again.
- Add half cup ( 100 ml) water to the mixture and transfer the mixture to a wide pan or kadai .
- Cook this mixture over low flame , stirring occasionally.
- While the kadhi is simmering over low flame caramelize the onions.
- After approximately 15-20 minutes, the kadhi is ready. 7.Add salt and switch off.
- 8. Now add the caramelized onions and temper the kadhi.