A nutritious pumpkin and yam preparation, tastes excellent with steamed brown rice
Yellow pumpkin – 350 gms
Yam (Chena) – 350 gms
Red karamani seeds – 75 gms
Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Salt – to taste
Coconut – 1 (grated)
Coconut oil – 50 gms
Curry leaves – 2 gms
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Red chilli – 2 nos
Water – as required
- Soak the karamani seeds in water for four hours so that it becomes tender.
- Cut the vegetables into pieces.
- Boil the soaked seeds for five minutes and add the vegetables and the spices including salt.
- Boil this mixture to a mash consistency by adding water. Add half of the grated coconut to this mash.
- Heat 1 ½ tbsp of coconut oil in a wok and add mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies. Fry till golden brown.
- Add some of the grated coconut to this mixture.
- Now, add the prepared mash to this. Serve hot.